Drotaverine (in the form of Drotaverine hydrochloride)
Code ATC: АОЗА002
Myotropic spasmolytic. By chemical structure and pharmacological properties it is similar to papaverine, but has stronger and more lasting effect. It reduces an influx of calcium ions into smooth muscle cells. It reduces the tonus of smooth muscles of internal organs and intestinal peristalsis, dilates blood vessels. It has no effect on autonomic nervous system, it does not penetrate into central nervous system.
Presence of direct effect on smooth muscle can be used as antispasmodic drug in cases when drugs from the group of M-cholinoblockers are contraindicated (angle-closure glaucoma, prostatic hyperplasia). Effect of the drug in case of parenteral injection appears in 2-4 min. Maximal effect occurs within 30 min.
- Spasms of smooth muscles, associated with diseases of biliary tract: cholelithiasis, cholecystitis, pericholecystitis, cholangitis, papillitis;
- Spasms of smooth muscles of urinary system: urinary stone disease, pyelitis, cystitis, tenesmuses of bladder;
- During physiological birth, in early period of expansion for shortening phase of cervical dilatation;
- As adjuvant therapy: headaches, stress;
- In cases of spasms of smooth muscle of gastrointestinal tract: peptic ulcer, gastritis, spasms of cardia and pylorus, enteritis, colitis, accompanied by constipation and flatulence;
- Strong contractions;
- Obliterating endarteritis.
2% solution for injection in ampoules of 2 ml.